I just read an article about how some of the best spicy fried chicken is from a joint called Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack in Nashville, TN. I was inspired to share my own spicy recipe with you guys!
This recipe will be enough for at least 2 dozen pieces. Around my house, we prefer the flats to the drumsticks.
- 2 dozen wing sections or buy them whole and cut them yourself
- Tabasco (as much heat as you can handle)
- Cayenne Pepper
- Jalapeno powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Ground black pepper
- Minced garlic (in a jar)
- Red pepper flakes
- Season salt or Tony’s
- Shiner Bock Beer (any other dark beer)
- Cornstarch and flour
- *Here’s the Asian secret ingredient: nuoc mam
- Wash your chicken and pat dry
- In a large Ziploc bag, mix these ingredients: half bottle of shiner bock (you drink the rest), tbsp of onion powder, garlic powder, ½ tbsp. cayenne, black pepper, jalapeno powder, a couple of spoonfuls of minced garlic, a few splashes of nuoc mam (a little of this stuff goes a long way) and 8-10 drops of tabasco (add more if you’d like).
- Add the chicken to the bag, toss and make sure all meat is in the marinade. Place bag in fridge for 1 hour. (The longer you leave it, the more flavor it will absorb.)
- In a large shallow dish, mix ½ cup of cornstarch and ½ cup flour, sprinkle red pepper flakes, a few sprinkles of Tony’s or seasoned salt, a few sprinkles of onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Crack and mix a couple of eggs (use yolk and white) into a small bowl, add a few sprinkles of cayenne to this as well J. Dip the chicken into the egg soak first and then lightly dredge in the flour mixture, remove and set aside on was paper.
- Heat your oil to 350 degrees. You can cook this in a deep frying pan or a small fry daddy.
- Once all of the chicken has been coated with the flour mixture, start placing in the hot oil.
- Because wing pieces are smaller, they tend to cook a bit faster. Each batch should take no longer than 8-10 minutes to cook. The coating should be on the light side because of the cornstarch.
- Pieces should be crispy and golden brown.
Lick those fingers when you’re done!!!