Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Bye Bye Carbs! Blackened Catfish

Josh and I decided we really needed to start eating better and losing some of this happy relationship weight that has inched its way into our britches!

We are trying a semi Atkins diet.  Pretty Low - carb, close to no carb, but it almost seems impossible to cut ALL carbs out of one's diet :/  A few years back, I remember that I tried a carb-free diet and lasted all of 2 days!  I simply could not give up my jasmine rice - I was soooo moody and felt completely depressed.  I am a lover of food, I never really over indulge, just hate to exercise!  So it's time to make a change and it's so much easier to have someone join you in the crusade against weight! Thanks JB <3

Last night I pan-fried catfish for our inaugural Lo-Carb supper!

Blackened Catfish is pretty easy!

You can usually find fresh, farm-raised catfish in the grocer's fish market (HEB). . . I bought 3 fillets (for myself, Josh and Jonah).  Jonah skipped out on us to meet friends at Myako's for there very awesome sushi happy hour!  Here is the recipe for 3 servings.

BUY:
  • Catfish fillets (1/person)
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • olive oil 
  • fish sauce
  • blackened seasoning, Tony's cajun seasoning, or Lawry's seasoned salt
  • black pepper
  • cayenne
PREP:
  • Rub 1-2 drops of olive oil on fish (both sides)
  • Sprinkle onion, garlic, and cajun seasoning on fish (both sides)
  • Depending on your desired level of spice, sprinkle black pepper and cayenne on fish
  • very carefully, add 2-3 drops of fish sauce to one side of the fish (you do not need more than that)
  • Let rest in fridge for 20-30 minutes to marinade
CUC:
  • Heat nonstick pan on high, add olive oil to pan
  • add fillets and turn heat down to medium high heat
  • fish tends to cook pretty quickly, about 5 minutes on each side (depending on size of fillet)
**I added a little water to the pan when it looked like it was charring or smoking, this created a more darker golden color on the fish!

Squeeze some lemon on it and normally I would serve this with dirty or jasmine rice, but since we are not eating CARBS, we just had it by itself.

Here are the nutrition facts if you are curious.

Taken from FatSecret.com


No comments:

Post a Comment